A happy Independence Day to you all Cravers! We hope everyone is enjoying this free time with their families and friends. We wanted to share an American classic recipe from Serious Eats—The Slaw Dog. Enjoy!
(photo credit: Nick Kindelsperger/Serious Eats)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head cabbage, core removed, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- For the Hot Dogs:
- 8 hot dogs, preferably with a natural casing
- 8 side-split hot dog buns
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Mustard, for serving
- — Make the Cole Slaw: In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, celery seed, dry mustard, and black pepper. Stir until combined. Add the cabbage, and mix until it is evenly coated in the dressing. Set aside.
- — Cook the Hot Dogs: Pour 1/2 cup water into a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the hot dogs. Cook until the hot dogs are thoroughly warmed. If the water has not evaporated, pour any remaining water off. Add one tablespoon of butter. When it has melted, roll the hot dogs around until they are coated in the butter. Cook until the hot dogs are lightly browned on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Remove and set aside.
- — Add remaining butter to the skillet, then add the buns, cut-side down. Cook until browned, about 1 minute. Rotate the buns. Continue this process until the buns are lightly browned on four sides, about 4 minutes total.
- — To serve, place one hot dog in each bun. Top all of them with mustard and a few spoonfuls of the slaw. Serve immediately.