Waking up to a frosty rain this morning was a bit of a surprise here in Austin, considering the sun was out and the weather was lovely only a couple days before! It’s something we’ve learned to get used to in Texas. This chilly weather inspired us to post some winter cocktail recipes to keep you nice and toasty as the temperature drops tonight. Give them a try and tell us what you think!
Warm Vanilla Cider
(photo credit: Martha Stewart Living)
- 6 cups fresh apple cider
- 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 whole nutmeg seeds
- 1 vanilla bean (split and scraped)
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) bourbon, if desired
- Whipped cream
- Honeyed Walnuts
- Combine apple cider, dark-brown sugar, nutmeg seeds, and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan. Gently simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and add bourbon if desired. Remove and discard solids. Divide among 6 mugs or heatproof glasses, and top each with a dollop of whipped cream and a few honeyed walnuts.
(photo credit: Harvest Moon Cafe)
- 4 ounces freshly brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Dollop of freshly whipped cream
- Combine the coffee, whiskey, and sugar in a hot Irish coffee mug; then float whipped cream on top.
Italian coffee: Substitute amaretto for the whiskey.
Jamaican coffee: Substitute dark rum for the whiskey.
Mexican coffee: Substitute Kahlúa for the whiskey.
SOURCE: CHOW.com Copyright Quickbooks
Hot Schnnocolate (Peppermint Schnapps Hot Chocolate!)
(photo credit: socialcouture.typepad.com/collegecures.com)
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 32 ounces hot cocoa
- 4 ounces peppermint schnapps
- cocktail cherries
- Beat whipping cream, while adding sugar slowly, until it forms peaks.
- Set aside.
- Prepare hot chocolate according to directions.
- Add peppermint schnapps and stir.
- Pour into individual glasses or mugs and top with whipped cream and a cherry.
serve with a peppermint stick; sprinkle whipping cream with cocoa or candied sprinkles; decorate whipping cream with a few gold sprinkles for a festive look.
Stay warm and have a great Thirsty Thursday. Crave Catering is looking forward to hearing about your personal winter cocktails soon!